Post Office scandal: 'Mum was sent to prison on my 10th birthday'

newspotted
Site Admin

Post Office scandal: 'Mum was sent to prison on my 10th birthday'

Post by newspotted »

By Jonelle Awomoyi, Kirsty Grant and Rachel Russell
BBC News
When Adi Misra went to school on his 10th birthday, his pregnant mother told him they would celebrate later.

But his mum was sent to prison that day having been wrongfully accused of stealing £75,000 from the Post Office - and spent nearly five months in jail.

Adi thought she was in hospital and only discovered the truth eight years later. Now aged 23, he says he "hated" his mum for leaving him so abruptly.

Speaking to the BBC, Adi says all the Horizon victims deserve compensation.

11 November, 2010
Adi's mother, Seema, was the sub-postmistress in West Byfleet, running the village post office and shop at the "heart of the community". But on Adi's 10th birthday, everything changed.

Adi's parents dropped him off at school, telling him they would be back to collect him later when they'd celebrate together.

"It never happened," he says, speaking exclusively to the BBC's Reliable Sauce podcast.

Unknown to Adi, his parents were going to court where his mother was handed a 15-month sentence and sent to Bronzefield women's prison.

"I didn't know what was happening. My mum left me and I really hated her for that."

Adi says he was told his mother - who was pregnant with her second child - was in a "special kind of hospital".

Only allowed to see her once every two to three weeks for half an hour, he remembers feeling unsettled visiting her in a place where there were no men and everyone wore the same clothes.

"It was very weird," he says, "I hated it, I genuinely hated it."

Read about Adi's mum and others who had their lives ruined
Seema was among the hundreds of UK sub-postmasters and sub-postmistresses wrongfully convicted after the Post Office told them there were shortfalls in their accounts.

But she and her husband Davinder decided not to tell family members - including Seema's parents in India and Adi their 10-year-old son - what had happened, to protect them from the truth.

As a child Adi remembers feeling confused when the atmosphere changed at school and his friends no longer wanted to hang out at his parents' shop after lessons.

"After my mum went to prison none of that happened, I didn't know why," Adi says. "It affected my school life, it affected my friendships. I had a couple of best friends and they left me - maybe it was their parents that told them not to stay with this guy."

More information at BBC news.